[vox-tech] VNC - awesome!

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Mon Jul 26 19:14:53 PDT 2004

On Monday 26 July 2004 07:18 pm, Rob Rogers wrote:
> TightVNC (xtightvnc package on debian) is what I use...

About 2-3 years ago I experimented with tight vs. regular
VNC and found tight to be more responsive, even over a fast
network.  YMMV.

> MS has a different view on things than your standard UNIX user.
> Remember, Windows is all about the GUI. Up through Win2K, I don't
> believe there's really any way for multiple users to be logged onto the
> same computer at a time...

For this reason VNC is nicest when the Linux box is the
server.  That's how I've always used it.  Even without
Windows in the picture, VNC has some advantages over X11
forwarding in terms of performance and convenience.

-- Rod