[vox-tech] VNC - awesome!

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Mon Jul 26 18:25:24 PDT 2004

Hi all,

After months of procrastinating, I finally got around to installing VNC.
All I have to say is...  WOW!  Totally and completely neat!  It's a VERY
impressive piece of software!

I have a couple of questions:

1. A Google search turned up a number of different VNC clients like
   "realvnc", "ultravnc", and "tightvnc".  The one I downloaded was
   from:

      http://www.realvnc.com/

   The server was installed on a win2k machine and the rpm for my Linux
   client was converted into a deb from an rpm via alien.  I chose this
   implementation (realvnc) because it was obviously GPL'd and the first
   one I found.  I had no way of comparing the different
   implementations.

   Is there one implementation that's better than the others?  Why did
   this piece of software fork so many times?

2. The server is a win2k machine.  When using VNC, the machine is taken
   over; you can't log in at the console.  Is there a way to make Win2k
   multi-user?  I was under the impression that this OS is considered by
   Microsoft to be a server class OS.  Can't more than one person log
   in?  Is there a registry setting or something?  Sorry.  I really
   don't know much about Windows.  This is probably a really dumb
   question.

3. I'm ashamed to be asking this.  The LAN speed is NEARLY perfect.
   There are some very slight pauses, but it got me thinking about
   ethernet speeds.  I've never really thought about it too much before.

   Whenever I buy an ethernet card, it always says 10/100 Mb/s.  It's
   always been "fast enough".  I did some tests.  I created a 50MB file:

      $ dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/blah  count=100k

   and used scp to transfer it to another machine.  Transfer speed is
   pretty much pegged at 1.1 - 1.2 MB/s

      root at mephisto's password:
      blah                            100%   50MB   1.1MB/s

   I also transfered it to the local machine (I'm assuming it went
   "through" the ethernet interface).  The transfer speed remained
   pegged at about 2.3 - 2.4 MB/s.

      $ scp /tmp/blah p at 192.168.0.2:/tmp
      blah                               100%   50MB   2.4MB/s

   But then I started thinking about it:

      10  Mb/s = 1.25 MB/s
      100 Mb/s = 12.5 MB/s

      To mephisto:   1.1 MB/s = 8.8 MB/s
      To localhost:  2.4 MB/s = 19.2 MB/s

   How exactly do I get 100Mb/s = 12.5 MB/s between my local machines?
   For some reason, I've never really thought about the speed on my LAN
   before.  My switch is a D-Link DSS-5, which also does 100/10 Mb/s.

Lots of questions.  Thanks for reading down this far!

Pete

--
In theory, theory and practise are the same.  In practise, they aren't.