[vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip: all resolved!

ashleigh smythe absmythe at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jul 26 10:31:00 PDT 2004

Many thanks to the members of this list for all their help.  I have
resolved all my original problems and now have at home a happy Debian
Woody box up and running (including X) and connected to the web.

The original problems and their solutions:

X wouldn't start at all, or only with very low res:
I bought an nvidia geforce2 video card and dpkg-reconfigure xserver
xFree86 worked to get X up and running, once I chose the framebuffer
(can't quite recall exact wording in the config program) "no" option.  I
used the "nv" driver that came with XFree86 (4.1.0), even though my
understanding from folks here and elsewhere is that that doesn't support
3D graphics.  At this point I don't really have anything 3D so I'm not
going to worry about it - if I need 3D it sounds like I can get a driver
from nvidia, but I wasn't too clear on how/where it should get installed
if I can't use the Debian package management system to do it (since it's
proprietary nvidia stuff).

Modem (later proven to be a winmodem) will not dial:
As many of you suggested, I got an external serial modem and pppconfig
configured my connection with no problem.  I can now connect with pon.

Zip drive not found:
The command modprob imm found the zip drive and I added a line to my
/etc/fstab that looked like this:
/dev/sda4       /zip        auto      noauto,owner,users,rw     0   0
I think I still need to add modprob imm to /etc/modules to get the zip
to be found upon start-up.

Again, thanks.  I guess the word on the street about Debian having a
big, supportive group of users is true!

Ashleigh