[vox-tech] On my boxes, Windows is outperforming Debian in network speed

Karsten M. Self karsten at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jul 25 21:57:50 PDT 2004

on Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 09:40:31PM -0700, Issac Trotts (ijtrotts at ucdavis.edu) wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 12:24:00AM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > Don't put 127.0.0.1 as any of the name servers.
>
> Why not?

Well, you'd neglected to mention that you were running a localhost
nameserver.

If you're not running a nameserver, if it's improperly configured, or if
it's misconfigured, you'll get a timeout (4 seconds IIRC) on any name
resolution attempt.  This is documented in the nameserver spec.

> I have bind installed, and it gives me a big speedup on
> name lookups when I put the line in my resolv.conf.  At least it does
> now...  I don't know what was going wrong before.

If you're satisfied with "it works now", it doesn't much matter.  If you
want to find out what was going on, first things to check are whether or
not you were running a nameserver, and if it was properly configured.

Your system logs should at the very least show starts and stops, and may
help determine the "was it running" answer.

> It would be nice if the resolv.conf didn't keep getting overwritten
> without a mention of my local nameserver.  I just uncommented this line
> in /etc/dhclient.conf, which should do it:
>
>     prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

Yes.  Well...  RTFM is *always* highly recommended.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <karsten at linuxmafia.com>        http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten
    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.