[vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Ashleigh Smythe absmythe at ucdavis.edu
Sat Jul 24 13:40:07 PDT 2004

Quoting Rick Moen:

>You might wonder:  What's the advantage to Intel's video chip design
>(i810, i830, i845, i850, i852, i855, i865, i915, etc.), given the
>disadvantages?  Well, it reduces costs (and thus has become very common
>in the "home PC" market, where price is paramount).  That's about it.

Thanks for all the input Rick - I'm learning a lot!

I'm sorry if I haven't been providing all the relevant information -
I've been a little overwhelmed by everybody's helpfulness and often
have to google around quite a bit to find out how to answer all of
the questions posed here!

You asked about my XFree86:  dpkg -l shows that I just lists 1 main
package that I can see: xfree86-common 4.1.0-16woody1 X Window System
(XFree86) infrastructure".  There are other related packages but I
guess that those are all for the same X package I have (things like
xserver-xfree86 4.1.0-16woody1 the XFree86 server...).

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that you and others have
suggested, and that is that I should bail on this Intel 82845G
graphics card and just get another one.  Jonathan Stickel posted a
message yesterday about getting a 64 MB Nvidia card - do any other
people (Rick?) have opinions/suggestions on a video card?

Next up:  shutdown (and unplug!) and open up my cpu to find the true
nature of the modem (a la Rick's instructions)!

Ashleigh

Ashleigh B. Smythe
Graduate Research Assistant
Department of Nematology