[vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 24 09:02:48 PDT 2004

Mark K. Kim wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Ashleigh Smythe wrote:
>

>>I managed to install and activate a later kernel from my woody CD as
>>you suggested Rick, and now uname -r shows that I am running kernel
>>2.4.18-686-smp (I wasn't really sure which of the pentium IV 2.4
>>kernels to choose so I took a shot on that one).  Nothing seems to
>>have changed with respect to the video card or modem - tried various
>>combinations of things in the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-x86 tool for
>>the video card problem and have run pppconfig also to no avail.
>

> Any kernel that ends in "-smp" is for computers with more than one CPU
> inside the system unit.  This is probably NOT the version you want...

Maybe, maybe not.  I've "heard" that P4s with hyperthreading need an smp
kernel to actually use the hyperthreading.  However, my wife tried an
smp kernel on her work P4 with HT, and it didn't seem to change
anything.  Take home message fore me:  buy AMD64 if you want top
performance in Linux.

Jonathan