[vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Ashleigh Smythe absmythe at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jul 23 21:50:54 PDT 2004

Well I've made some general progress but haven't really solved either
of the remaining 2 problems (X/video card configuration and the
non-functional modem).

I managed to install and activate a later kernel from my woody CD as
you suggested Rick, and now uname -r shows that I am running kernel
2.4.18-686-smp (I wasn't really sure which of the pentium IV 2.4
kernels to choose so I took a shot on that one).  Nothing seems to
have changed with respect to the video card or modem - tried various
combinations of things in the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-x86 tool for
the video card problem and have run pppconfig also to no avail.

I realize that Rick now thinks that I don't have a winmodem, but I
thought I'd work for a while under the assumption that I do and see
what happens.  I downloaded the hcfpcimodem driver (the last free
one! from http://www.int21.de/conexant/) and am trying to install it
but running "make install" as the INSTALL file gives me an error that
I need to edit a file to show it where the kernel source is.  I don't
reckon that I have the sources, so I tried apt-get source --download
kernel-image-2.4.18-686-smp but I get the error "Sorry, you must put
some 'source' URIs in your sources.list".  I figure that is
etc/apt/sources.list but I don't know what is meant by 'source' URIs.
I can try to google that out next.

I'll keep working on this route and also maybe try dell again to see
if I can extract more information from them about the _true_nature_
of my modem!

Thanks to all for the help - it is very encouraging!

Ashleigh
Ashleigh B. Smythe
Graduate Research Assistant
Department of Nematology