[vox-tech] Stupid floppy/zip label question

Paul paulb at claypits.com
Thu Jul 22 13:13:26 PDT 2004

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Thu 22 Jul 04,  7:29 AM, Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us> said:
>
>>On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I've noticed that there two types of floppy and zip disk labels:
>>>
>>>   1. Those that peel off easily
>>>   2. Those that don't peel off.
>>>
>>>I need to buy a whole bunch floppy/zip labels, but I hate the ones that
>>>don't come off.  Any suggestions as to a brand of label?
>>>
>>>This is kind of an embarrassingly stupid question, but I really want to
>>>buy labels that come off...
>>
>>In my experience limited experience with such things, floppy/zip labels
>>that come off tend to come off when the floppy is in the machine... this
>>is Not Good(TM).  If I knew which ones were going to do that ahead of
>>time, I would avoid buying them.
>

> really?  maybe i'm very lucky (or maybe you're very unlucky) but,
> since 1983, that has not happened to me, even once!
>
> pete

Its been a couple of years since I looked, but I couldn't find any
removable (peelable) floppy labels. I ended up using a larger label cut
in half (not very professional looking). I think you're stuck with
Avery's "permanent".

My (limited) experience with disk labels is that "permanent" glue dries
up after about 10 or 15 years and falls off and the removable glue stays
flexible and sticky for 20+ years (just checked the label on one of my
Dysan 8" disks :-).

Paul