Knoppix dma (Re: [vox-tech] X crash, Mozilla)

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 22 09:09:29 PDT 2004

Mark K. Kim wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>

>>Not sure why, but Knoppix doesn't use dma by default for ide devices;
>>maybe because old hardware doesn't support dma and will hang.
>

> Umm... are you sure?  I think it does not enable DMA only if it doesn't
> recognize the IDE controller as one that supports DMA.  That's the default
> behavior for Debian, RedHat, and Mandrake also.

I'm very sure.  At least that's what I've found using Knoppix on several
"new" computers (>1ghz).  I have to enter "knoppix dma" or I get no dma
and it's very slow.  You can see the dma option (and others) by pushing
F2 at the boot prompt.

And it is surprising because I know DMA is on by default in all major
distributions and other linux boot cds I've tried.

Jonathan