[vox-tech] X crash, Mozilla

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Thu Jul 22 01:21:57 PDT 2004

On Wed 21 Jul 04, 11:40 PM, Mark K. Kim <lugod at cbreak.org> said:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
>
> > Twm is my window manager if that is important.
>
> Try FVWM.  It's better in every aspect, including the required memory and
> stability.

eeeks, not my understanding at all.  details?  i can't imagine anything
more light weight than twm.

> > The only bad thing I can see in
> > /var/log/XFree86.0.log is:
> > PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file  Roman_M
>
> I don't see that crashing the system.  Anybody else think otherwise?

absolutely not.

> > Secondly, in Mozilla when I am going up or down in a page or backspacing
> > in a form, Mozilla will keep going for a while after I let off the key
> > if I had been holding for a while. I imagine this is because the
> > interrupts have sort of piled up because they are being processed by
> > Mozilla slower than the key is sending them. Dillo and less do not do
> > this. Why is this and what can I do about it?
>
> It's not Mozilla that's slow, but it's your graphics card software (the X
> Window module for your graphics card) that's slow.  You need an
> accelerated graphics card with accelerated X server software.

could be both.  i've always thought that mozilla was dog-slow.  i don't
have patience for mozilla.

also you _don't_ need an accelerated graphics card for web browsing.
the term "accelerated" means that the graphics card does certain types
of calculations for common 3D functions.  i doubt that any of that comes
into play when rendering 2-D web browser window.

the issue of "high dot-clock" is separate from "accelerated video card".
basically, any new-ish video card will have a high dot clock, and that's
what you need for speedy 2D video.

> Your slow Mozilla and your console freezing problems may be related.  It
> seems like you're using a vesa frame buffer as your graphics device, in
> which case you can end up with both of these symptoms.  As soon as you get
> the proper graphics driver, both of your problems will go away.  But
> that's assuming there's a driver available for your graphics card.

that's a great guess -- it never would've occured to me.  how did you
think of that?   :)

frame buffers are often very slow and wonky.  the 3dfx frame buffer, for
example, for the V5 has never worked well for me.

pete

--
In theory, theory and practise are the same.  In practise, they aren't.