[vox-tech] PPP problems; need help over phone or housecall (Sacramento)

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Jul 21 12:39:15 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 08:20:48AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> dave, when you say floppy distribution, are you being literal about the
> word "floppy"?  i haven't played with a modem for years, but wouldn't be
> the least surprised if knoppix did a good job in making modem
> connections.  they've done a good job in all other areas!

I can't be certain, but I'm guessing a standard Knoppix setup is a little
beyond the hardware she's dealing with.  (She's mainly a DOS user, I think.
Really, even plain text-mode Linux will be a joyous upgrade from that.)

> i'm picturing her using tom's rescue floppy.  if she's unwilling to
> "upgrade" to a CD based distro, then, well...
>
> even better, she can turn her system into a real debian based system
> using knoppix as well; no muss, no fuss!

I think a more plain Debian install might be safer, but I've never done
a Knoppix install.  I could just be making too many assumptions about the
hardware requirements for Knoppix (which I guess really comes from the
'all special effects turned on' KDE GUI they default to :^) ... purty, but
a little heavy on your CPU!)