[vox-tech] PPP problems; need help over phone or housecall (Sacramento)

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Wed Jul 21 08:20:48 PDT 2004

On Wed 21 Jul 04,  8:15 AM, Dave Margolis <margolid at ecs.csus.edu> said:
> Henry House wrote:
>
> >På tisdag, 20 juli 2004, skrev Dave Margolis:
> >
> >>Bill,
> >>
> >>If I remember correctly from some other thread, Margo lives across the
> >>street from where I work (CSUS).  If she's got a laptop, she can run over
> >>and see me - and at an actual helpdesk!
> >>
> >>I wouldn't be able to leave anytime soon or help her after work tonight,
> >>but if she can come over here tomorrow morning...
> >>
> >>Happen to know what kind of machine she has?  Should I call her, or wait
> >>and see if someone else can help her today?
> >

> >If you do help her on behalf of LUGOD, please be sure to use the LERT
> >Release form. Thanks.
> >
> >http://www.lugod.org/documents/releases/lert_release.txt
> >

> well I gave her a call just to see if i could point her in the right
> direction.  she's using some kind of mini-distribution that runs off a
> floppy disk (i don't recall the name).  the nature of her problem is a
> little beyond me as she's trying to run ppp via manually configured chat
> scripts.
>
> i asked her if she could use wvdial (and also mentioned that kppp is
> really easy), but she doesn't have the ability to run those types of
> programs as long as she's using the floppy distro, which she plans on
> using until she's ready to do a regular linux install.  "ready" means
> making a successful backup of her dos partition.
>
> she had the ppp howto in front of her and i reminded her to check file
> permissions/ownership in /etc/ppp which she had already done.
>
> i defer this one to anybody who's more familiar with "manual" ppp.
>
> dave

that's how i used to use ppp -- using chat scripts.  way before KDE ever
came out.  ;)  but i'm a little far away...

dave, when you say floppy distribution, are you being literal about the
word "floppy"?  i haven't played with a modem for years, but wouldn't be
the least surprised if knoppix did a good job in making modem
connections.  they've done a good job in all other areas!

i'm picturing her using tom's rescue floppy.  if she's unwilling to
"upgrade" to a CD based distro, then, well...

even better, she can turn her system into a real debian based system
using knoppix as well; no muss, no fuss!

pete

--
In theory, theory and practise are the same.  In practise, they aren't.