[vox-tech] dhcp, other

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 17 22:03:32 PDT 2004

Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
> Thirdly, now that I have net access, I've been trying to update various
> pieces of software. So, I tried to compile GTK 2.4, and it depends on a
> library called Pango. The version of Pango that is in the GTK 2.4
> directory of the gtk.org ftp site is Pango 1.4 . But when I configure
> gtk it says that it requires Pango 1.2 . Specifically, it says:
> "configure: error: Pango 1.2.0 and Xft backend is required for x11
> target" This installation guide webpage also seems only to refer to
> Pango 1.2: http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.4/gtk/gtk-building.html
> . However, Pango 1.2 is found in the GTK 2.2 directory of the GTK ftp
> site. What gives?

It sounds like you are trying to upgrade packages via source code.
Aren't you using Debian?  Trying to upgrade core packages by source code
on a binary based distribution is an unnecessary nightmare.  If you want
a compile-from-source distribution that really works, look into Gentoo.
  Otherwise you should really stick to the binary install/uninstall
tools supplied by your distribution.

Regards,
Jonathan