[vox-tech] SSH Auth keys via PuTTY

Dave Margolis margolid at ecs.csus.edu
Thu Jul 15 12:09:43 PDT 2004

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 11:11:15AM -0700, Ken Herron wrote:

>>Putty's keyfile format isn't compatible with ssh's authorized_keys format.
>>Load the key into puttygen, then look at the box labelled
>>"Public key for pasting into authorized_keys file".
>>That's what you need to send to the other admin.
>

> Ah, I see.  (Though it's labelled: "Public key for pasting into
> OpenSSH authorized_keys file", but I assume that's it).
>
> I'll try sending it!

You should have access to your home directory and the
~/.ssh/authorized_keys file on the server.  That would seem a little weird
to me if you didn't.

Anyway, I use putty sometimes at work, and I've often lazily wondered
about using auth keys.  Since I have both a Linux and an OS X box in easy
reach, I never bothered, but just for kicks I decided to give what you're
trying a go.

I fired up PuttyGen and created the public key.  Saving the public key
didn't work; I did have to copy it out of the dialog box like Ken
suggested.  I put it in a text file and FTPed it over to the server.  I
then SSHed into the server and did a:
cat mydsakey.pub >> .ssh/authorized_keys

Then I went back to PuttyGen and generated the private key, which I loaded
into Putty as you described in your first post.

Wow, I've been using Putty for a while, and I never knew about PuttyGen.
Cool...