[vox-tech] Gentoo installation by NFS?

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 9 13:19:16 PDT 2004

Although I have only installed Gentoo off of the Gentoo-install
self-booting CD, I think you can install from anything that gives you a
shell with enough tools.  The gentoo disk provides binary snapshots of
installation files, but these can be downloaded directly instead.  I
recently saw a report of installing gentoo after booting off of KNOPPIX.

Generally, the install process goes like this (for stage 3):
1) boot to a shell (from cd, floppy, or network?)
2) prepare disk partitions (e.g. fdisk); reboot if necessary for
partition tables
3) mount partitions
4) acquire (e.g. download) the appropriate stage 3 root snapshot
5) untar the snapshot onto what will be your new root partition
6) chroot to your new root partition
7) continue installing via gentoo commands and tools (emerge stuff)

HTH,
Jonathan