[vox-tech] bandwidth question - choking http to give more to ssh

Samuel N. Merritt spam at andcheese.org
Thu Jul 1 20:08:28 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 07:12:51PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i have a remote web server.  i also ssh into that same machine for mail.
>
> is there a way to give the bandwidth for my interactive ssh session priority
> over the bandwidth of everything else (in particular the web server)?

Check out Linux traffic control:
http://www.lartc.org/howto/

In particular, I think this example does almost what you want:
http://www.lartc.org/howto/lartc.qdisc.filters.html#AEN1100

I haven't played with tc much, but I used it once to throttle the
total outbound bandwidth of a machine.

--
Samuel Merritt
OpenPGP key: http://meat.andcheese.org/~spam/spam_at_andcheese_dot_org.asc