[vox-tech] devfs and mkisofs, don't have permission to create multisession cd's

Ken Herron vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 07:52:45 -0800

--On Saturday, January 31, 2004 01:12:51 AM -0800 "Samuel N. Merritt"
<spam@andcheese.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 04:04:02PM -0800, Ken Bloom wrote:
>> I have a backup script that I run periodically (and I haven't run it
>> in two whole weeks), and I was trying to run it today but since having
>> switched to devfs, the permissions on the cd drive's device file seem
>> to have changed (probably as a result of the switch), so that I can't
>> read the file system. As a result, I can't add new sessions to a CD
>> because a permissions error keeps mkisofs from reading the previous
>> sessions on the CD.
>>
>> Devfs complains about /dev/sg0
>>
>> [bloom@kabloom ~]% ls -l /dev/sg0
>> lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           36 2004-01-30 07:22 /dev/sg0
>> -> scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/generic
>> [bloom@kabloom ~]% ls -l `readlink -f /dev/sg0`
>> crw-r--r--    1 root     cdrom     21,   0 1969-12-31 16:00
>> /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/generic
>

> I'd set the device to 664 and make sure that the user running the
> backup script is in the "cdrom" group.

Some systems will change the ownership on various devices to match the
user logged in on the console, then set the ownership back when the user
logs out. The idea is to let the person sitting in front of the computer
have access to the cd-roms, sound device, etc. See if you have a file
named "console.perms" in /etc/security or some similar location. You
should be able to adjust it to include the scsi generic devices.

--
Ken Herron