[vox-tech] Fsck-ing a Hard Disk Problem

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:59:49 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> It seems to me that KDE is screwing up somehow.  But I am still able to boot
> into Linux without any fsck errors.  I'm just wondering if I need a new hard
> disk.

Most likely.  Hard drives near the end of life will grind away, trying to
read data it hard a hard time reading - if the hard drive can't read data,
it'll move the head slightly and try again, if it still can't read the
data it'll move the head even more and try again, and if it still can't
then try again, and again... until it gives up.  This involves lots of
grinding and lots of time.  That's probably what the hard drive is doing
more likely than KDE screwing up something.

Just my thoughts.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim