[vox-tech] Spam _bounce_ deluge

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:35:09 -0800

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk

I use maildrop, so you'd need to do a little work to convert the rules, =20
but I won't even send a full rule, because I want to make sure the =20
message gets through.

(a) I filter out attachments based on name - .exe .scr .pif .cmd and .=20
bat all get a message filed as a virus.

(b) The three full virus names (replace the phoneticized punctuation =20
with the real punctuation) also get a message filed as a virus (because =20
I move viruses and their bounces to the same folder)

WORM*underscore*MIMAIL*dot*R
W32*slash*Mydoom*at*MM
W32*dot*Novarg*dot*A*at*mm

As a general principle, you can take advantage of the fact that a virus =20
checker will give you the full name of the virus (which will specifiy =20
which platform it runs on and which variant the virus is) while humans =20
will only pass on the species name, beause the rest of the stuff is =20
implied.

There is one checker that doesn't do this - it just says it detected =20
dangerous code. But it does tell me its name. This checker is: =20
RAV*space*AntiVirus and it also gets shunted aside as relating to a =20
virus.

(To assist this strategy, since I haven't gotten any viruses (or spam) =20
claiming to be from LUGOD yet, or from any of my other mailing lists, =20
so I filter the mailing lists first. Then I filter for viruses. Then I =20
filter for spam. Anything that's left over goes into my inbox.)