[vox-tech] More Samba Goodness

Richard S. Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:35:53 -0800

I just set up Debian on an old laptop with the intent of using it as a
server for certain files.  I'm having a debil of a time getting Samba to
work, though.

Here is smb.conf:

lucien:/etc/samba# cat smb.conf
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.1.163 (192.168.1.163)
# Date: 2004/01/25 23:03:06

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = MY_WORKGROUP
        netbios name = LUCIEN
        server string = Library Server
        security = SHARE
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
*Passwd:All*Authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
        unix password sync = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 0
        dns proxy = No

[Library]
        comment = Readerware Server
        path = /opt/library
        force group = crawford
        read only = No
        create mask = 0777
        force create mode = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
        guest ok = Yes
        hide dot files = No

As you can see, I've got SWAT working just fine.  I don't have X working
on this computer, but I can access SWAT from another computer on the
network.  I can testparm just fine, with no errors.  I can execute
smbclient on Lucien with no errors.:

lucien:/etc/samba# smbclient -L lucien
added interface ip=192.168.1.164 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Domain=[STONEGOOSE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.3a-12.3 for Debian]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        Library        Disk      Readerware Server
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Library Server)
        ADMIN$         Disk      IPC Service (Library Server)

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        HAGRID               File Server
        LUCIEN               Library Server

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        MY_WORKGROUP         HAGRID

I can ping Lucien with no problems, I can telnet to port 139 on Lucien.
I have confirmed that both smbd and nmbd are running.  Running netstat
-a, I get...

lucien:/etc/samba# netstat -a
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
State
tcp        0      0 192.168.1.164:ssh       seamus:45149
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 *:netbios-ssn           *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:swat                  *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 192.168.1.164:1036      hagrid:ssh
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:time                  *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:daytime               *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:discard               *:*
LISTEN
udp        0      0 192.168.1.1:netbios-dgm *:*
udp        0      0 192.168.1.16:netbios-ns *:*
udp        0      0 *:netbios-dgm           *:*
udp        0      0 *:netbios-ns            *:*
udp        0      0 *:bootpc                *:*
udp        0      0 *:discard               *:*
raw        0      0 *:icmp                  *:*                     7
raw        0      0 *:tcp                   *:*                     7
Active UNIX domain sockets (servers and established)
Proto RefCnt Flags       Type       State         I-Node Path
unix  6      [ ]         DGRAM                    82     /dev/log
unix  1      [ W ]       STREAM     CONNECTED     10275
unix  1      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     10274
unix  0      [ ]         DGRAM                    10224
unix  0      [ ]         DGRAM                    6171
unix  0      [ ]         DGRAM                    6159
unix  0      [ ]         DGRAM                    4023
unix  0      [ ]         DGRAM                    3983
unix  0      [ ]         DGRAM                    86

...which seems right to me.

But when I try to browse to Lucien through Windows Network, I can't see
the Library share.  I should say that I have another server with Samba
running in this network (Hagrid) and I can browse there just fine... and
the smb.conf files are mostly identical on both servers (with the
appropriate differences for the servers, of course).

Anyone got any ideas?

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford