[vox-tech] XMMS For Radio

Dave Margolis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 00:52:19 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Trevor Lango wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 23:19, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> > I came across a LUGOD post dated January 9, 2002 from Richard Crawford.  He
> > wanted to listen to KXJZ but at the time that station only offered its stream
> > in Windows Media.  But if one goes to www.csus.edu/npr they now have options
> > for Windows Media, Real Player and XMMS for Linux for both KXJZ and KXPR.
> >
> > I can hear KXPR with Real Player.  But how does one get XMMS to get the
> > stream?  I'm having a hard time getting documentation for XMMS.  Does anyone
> > know how to get XMMS to play an internet radio station?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Bob

> Right-clicking on XMMS there is a menu entry: "Play Location". The radio
> station you reference is a *.pls and can be opened directly from within
> the web browser by right-clicking on the link and selecting "Open With"
> or by saving the *.pls to hard disk and then opening from there or from
> within XMMS: right-click menu entry "Play File/Directory". And if you go
> into XMMS preferences under "Audio I/O Plugins" under the input plugin:
> "MPEG Layer 1/2/3 Player 1.2.8 [libmpg123.so]" you can configure it to
> save your streams to disk. ;-)

I don't know about other browsers, but Netscape/Mozilla make this even
easier with their open-with dialog.  The first time you click on an *.pls
link, you should get an open-with-program or save dialog.  Browse to
/usr/bin/xmms (or wherever your xmms is).  The browser then remembers to
use xmms next time.  This behavior can be edited later in the
Navigator/Application Helper prefs.

Konquerer has a very similar feature, except it doesn't seem to _remember_
your preference.  I just tried to add *.pls to the File Association prefs
in that browser but it didn't stick.  Maybe somebody who uses Konquerer
more can offer a better answer there.

dave