[vox-tech] sending mail from shell

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:31:08 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

> What is the program/package which provides the 'mail' command that can
> be used to send simple emails from shell?  It must be very basic, but my
> gentoo install is missing it.

mailx - mail user agent package
interface between people/high-level applications and mail transport system
mailx may be invoked as "mail", "mailx", or "Mail"
comparable functions: pine, mutt, evolution (though none of these handle
stream input well like mailx does)

sendmail - mail transport agent
typically accepts mail through pipes or smtp connections
handles header normalization and mail routing functions
comparable functions: exim, qmail, Microsoft Exchange

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing