[vox-tech] amd64

Dave Margolis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:34:43 -0800 (PST)

Pete,

I recenlty bought a Shuttle XPC, and I ALMOST bought the AMD64 version.
I'm still pining over it, and I may get one in the future when prices drop
a bit. Me drooling over that little machine doesn't help you much so...

If you can track down this mag:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=NS-lj-issues/issue116&file=index
The author describes the _ultimate linux box_ built on AMD64.  There are
serveral notes about how he overcame several obstacles in getting
everything working.  One of the main things was the built in sound (some
kind of realtek chip in his case).  He replaced it with an Audigy which
worked.  Then he ran into some troubles with his NVidia card.
Updateing the bios fixed this problem (IIRC).

You also narrow your distro choices down.  He installed Suse for the
article which has a specific AMD64 version.  RH Advanced Workstation (or
whatever it's called) is another choice.  I don't know the extent to which
other distros support that architecture...

Dave