[vox-tech] Bewbie Needs Compile Help

Rob Rogers vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:35:33 +0000

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 10:23:26AM -0800, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> I wanted to put an "N" in front of "ewbie", but there are too many people on
> this list that would know I was lying.
>
> I've been given these instructions:
>
> #./configure
> #make
> Log in as root on your machine
> #make install
>
> But when I type "make" I get the error message that make is an unknown
> command.  So what do I do?

Depends on which distro you're running. If you don't have make, there's
a good you don't have gcc either. (although the configure step often
checks for this) Probably missing some other dev packages too.

On Debian, 'apt-get install make' would install make... or 'apt-get
install gcc' which will install make also as a dependency.