[vox-tech] upgrading Mandrake packages only

Aaron A. King vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:44:00 -0500

Hi all,

I'm running Mandrake 9.1 on a few computers.  Being security-minded, I try to
keep up with software security updates conscientiously.  This is fairly easy
using Mandrake's RPM-based update tools (urpmi and gurmpi).

The problem is, Mandrake has already released 9.2 and will eventually stop
updating the 9.1 mirrors.  In the past, when this has happened, I have done a
clean install.  This is inevitably a very painful process.  It can take up to
a week of tinkering before I get all my machines working again according to
my preferences.  Trying to upgrade from the ISOs usually doesn't work well,
in my experience.

So I'm considering trying to update packages only.  It seems I can fairly
easily tell urpmi to look at the 9.2 mirror instead of the 9.1.  Presumably,
I would then be able to upgrade all individual RPM packages and keep up with
updates.

Of course, anything associated with the kernel will not work this way, but I
already compile custom kernels from source, so I don't see this as a big
problem.  Probably I'll have to be very very careful when it comes to core
packages like glibc.

Has anyone tried this?  Will it work?  What are the foreseeable problems?
Aside from switching entirely to Debian, what are the options available to
someone who has tired already of the tedious process of doing clean installs
to keep up with updates?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom you can share.

Aaron King