[vox-tech] Best way to clear a BIOS password

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:32:30 -0800 (PST)

lol... claping forehead and all...

It used to be necessary to write down the BIOS settings because of IDE
geometry settings couldn't be auto-detected.  Nowadays it's not a big
deal.  Some minor settings can be adjusted as necessary.

And yes, there are tools to save a copy of the BIOS settings (The BIOS
CMOS is memory mapped, and you just need to save it to a file.  This is
completely independent of the BIOS or mobo manufacturer.)  Unfortunately
the BIOS settings include the password itself, so you wouldn't want to
restore the saved settings directly.  But there are tools to remove just
the password from the BIOS.  I mentioned that in my original post.

-Mark