[vox-tech] Hard drive access

Bill Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 04:29:40 -0800

Melissa's laptop (a Thinkpad T20 running Debian Woody) has this habit of
doing disk access quite often.  (It's mostly noticable when it's quiet in
the house, like right now, so I decided to investigate :^) )

The 'symptom' (assuming this is even a problem, and not just normal Linux
behaviour) is to make a very short disk access sound ('click!'), and then
about 1/2 second later, a slightly longer disk access ('clililililick!').
Also, the second time is usually the only time I notice the hard drive access
LED light up above the keyboard.

I tried switching to single user mode and killing off as many processes I
could, to try and see if anyone was having 'issues' and constantly logging
to files somewhere.  (I'm not a /proc or strace guru, like Mike Simons,
and I haven't kidnapped him yet, so all I really checked was an
"ls -lrt" listing of /var/log, so far...)

The machine currently has an uptime of about 4 days (I wonder what's up with
that? maybe Melissa forgot to charge it one day ;^) ), and I don't see
anything particularly troublesome going on.  Other than normal
"apt-get upgrade"s, no configuration changes have occurred in a while.
Of course, perhaps it's been doing this all along, and we never noticed until
recently.

I guess my biggest concerns are:

  1. Hax0rs
  2. Dying hard drive

If it happens to be:

    3. Messed up driver / daemon / etc.
or  4. Normal Thinkpad / Linux activity

...then I'm not so worried, obviously. :^)

Thx in advance

-bill!