[vox-tech] Best way to clear a BIOS password

Ken Herron vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 09 Jan 2004 16:02:20 -0800

--On Friday, January 09, 2004 15:31:59 -0800 Bill Kendrick
<nbs@sonic.net> wrote:

> I'm assuming the best way to clear a BIOS's unknown password (and
> probably any other settings; d'oh!) is to remove the batter for a while.

Actually, the normal method is to short out a jumper on the motherboard.
Look for a single two-pin jumper block somewhere near the battery and/or
the BIOS chip. Short it out for a couple of minutes while the computer is
turned off. Since the computer is off, shorting out the wrong jumper
should be harmless.

--
"Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared
the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons

Kenneth Herron        Kherron@newsguy.com       916-366-7338