[vox-tech] Best way to clear a BIOS password

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:44:03 -0800 (PST)

The simpler thing to do would be to get a BIOS password cracker for your
BIOS manufacturer.  If you have access to DOS (where most BIOS password
crackers run), it's the quicker way to find the BIOS password.

If that's not an option, look for the battery on the motherboard.  The
ones I've seen these days are button-type battery cells on the
motherboard.  Usually removed with a small phillips screw.  Other types
I've seen use enclosed battery mounted on the inner wall of the computer,
with a connection leading to the motherboard (old 386) and lithium cells
that look like a dwarf version of the AA battery on-board (old Macs.)

Once you remove the battery, the modern systems require you to keep the
system turned off for several hours.  I'd leave it off for about 6 hours
to be safe... if you ever turn it back on, and the capacitor hasn't been
fully discharged, you might have to start waiting all over again with a
fully recharged capacitor.  (Some motherboards have a capacitor discharge
pins, but you gotta find it and set a jumper across it... it's a lot of
hassle, but you might wanna look for 'em if it's time-pressing enough.)

-Mark