[vox-tech] email notification tool

dylan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 05 Jan 2004 15:35:09 -0800

thanks for the pointers.

i tried out mailcheck, and it is a nice little program.. however i found
that i could accomplish just about the same with the following script:

(please excuse my poor bash skills...)

#!/bin/bash

while [ 1 -le 10 ]
do

    #setup the variables
    old_mail_status=$mail_status

    #mail_status="`mailcheck`"

    mail_status="`ls /home/dylan/Maildir/new/`"

    if [ "$mail_status" = "" ];
    then
        echo "0    [nothing]"

    else

        if [ "$old_mail_status" = "$mail_status" ];
        then
            echo "1       [there is mail]"
        else
            echo "2       [new mail!]"