[vox-tech] configuring sendmail with dynamic ip dsl

Kevin Hooke vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 13:42:55 -0800 (PST)

Hi - I have been trying to configure sendmail so I can
run it on my local server at home, which is connected
to the net via a DSL connection with a dynamic IP
address.

I host my domains and websites from this server, and
use a script with zoneedit.com to keep my domain name
dns entries mapped to my dynamic ip (which rarely
seems to change anyway) and this all works fine.

I also have sendmail configured ok so I can send and
receive email ok.

What is driving me nuts is the dynamic ip blacklists
that result in the majority of my emails being bounced
from mailservers that consider my dynamic IP address
to be the originator of spam.

I think this is a pretty broad (and wrong) assumption,
but anyway, heres my problem try to get round this:

I've read on abuse.net that I can configure sendmail
to relay my email via my ISP's smtp server, so it
appears to come from them, rather than my ip address.

I am using Redhat 8.0.

Heres what I added to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc:

define(`SMART_HOST',`mail.yourisp.net')dnl
   MASQUERADE_AS(kevinhooke.com)dnl
   FEATURE(`allmasquerade')dnl
   FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl

replacing mail.yourisp.net with sbcglobal/yahoo's smtp
server.

I then updated this with:
m4 sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf

then restarted my sendmail server with:
/etc/init.d/sendmail restart

Server starts ok, everything looks good.

When I send mail, I can see in /var/log/maillog that
the email was relayed via mx1.mail.yahoo.com (I
think).

The email that is actually sent though still has info
about my own server and my dynamic IP address, which
means the email is still getting blacklisted/blocked
as spam.

Heres the headers: