[vox-tech] Move / from one HD to another

Bill Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:34:13 -0800

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 09:28:40PM -0800, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> >     * mkdir /mnt/usr/local
> >     * mv /mnt/* /mnt/usr/local/
>
> sounds... self-referential... I think this would lead to a full partition.

Nah, it seemed to work fine. :^)

It's all pretty moot, though.  Between your comments about devices not
landing in the right place, and the fact that my box is full of years worth
of cruft, I'm just doing a complete reinstall.

I _re_-backed up "/" and "/usr/local" into a spot in "/home" (now HDA1),
shrunk the 2nd partition (now HDA2), added a swap (HDA3), and popped
a Debian install disc in.

My /home stuff is secure, and I get to install Debian again (yay! practice!)
and hopefully not end up with THREE versions of Python, and tons of games
and other apps I never use, like I saw I had when I was backing up my old
"/" and "/usr/local" :^)

Of course, now my partitions are like this:

  /dev/hda1  - /home
  /dev/hda2  - /
  /dev/had3  - [swap]

Which is funky.  But, it seems to work!  And my PC is quieter now.  ;^)

-bill!