[vox-tech] Binary problems

Doctorcam vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:49:08 -0800

* Jeff Newmiller (jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us) wrote:
<snip>

> The behavior of the first token on a bash commandline is different than
> its behavior when provided as the argument to an instance of bash... bash
> interprets the _argument_ as a normal path to a script file... which
> amounts to allowing invocation of shell scripts in the current directory.
> When provided as the first token on a commandline, bash is more cautious
> if no slashes are present.

So, just so I understand the reasoning, instead of my blind rote
fumbling, do I understand correctly that the function of the ./ is
merely to identify the directory?  Is there more to this than that?  I
had the assumption that its function was to identify the following
item as an executable.

Cheers

Cam

--