[vox-tech] Binary problems

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:16:50 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Doctorcam wrote:

> Thanks, Jeff (& Pete)
>
> * Jeff Newmiller (jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us) wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Doctorcam wrote:
> >
> > > I have downloaded a commercial fax program (free version, for
> > > evaluation).  It is in binary (i.e. *.bin).  I have permissions set to
> > > execute (100755).
> > >
> > > It will not run, even as "sh primafax_l.bin".
> >
> > why would giving a binary executable to bash as an argument improve its
> > chances of running?
> >
> Because with strace primafax_l.bin, or with primafax_l.bin alone, I
> get "command not found".  I wasn't so much trying to get it running as
> trying to see why it wouldn't run.  Any port in a storm.

Bash, unlike COMMAND.COM in M$-land, is typically configured NOT to
include the current directory when it goes looking for commands to
execute.  This is to avoid accidentally running trojan executables.

Sounds to me like you want to provide a directory specification for the
executable...

   ./primafax_l.bin

or

   strace ./primafax_l.bin

[...]

> ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically
> linked, stripped
>
> What else would you need to know?

This is good... means you aren't dealing with some kind of tarball. :)

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing