[vox-tech] late night musings: stripping

Mitch Patenaude vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:49:54 -0800

Hi Pete,

The difference you're seeing is one of debugging information vs. symbol
table.

The symbol table is used during linking, and contains the addresses of
function entry points and global variables.  gdb can use this to decode
the stack frames to tell what the call stack is, but can't give you
more detailed information.

The debugging info will tell you much more, since it will allow gdb to
tie the PC to the source, so you can see what source line is actually
executing.  It will also give symbolic access to local automatic and
static variables, as well as allow the debugger to display more
complicated data structures intelligently.

The -g option only give minimal information.  Better to use -ggdb

As for disabling copy protection/license checking/etc.... You're
right..though you need to set the appropriate return value as well, and
cracked versions of programs much use that technique.  However, the
developers know that, and they take steps to make this more difficult.
It starts with stripping the executable, burying the check deep in a
library somewhere, and making more than one check.  There are bunches
of other techniques as well...

   -- Mitch