[vox-tech] Re: [vox] Syncing Palm Pilot

Rob Rogers vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:07:22 +0000

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 13:56:48PM -0800, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> Moving to vox-tech; sorry about the momentary cross-post on vox (didn't
> see it started there until after I sent my response)

Oops. I meant to post to vox-tech. :)

> Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> >I'm no expert, but I've struggled a little myself getting my Handspring
> >to sync.  It sure looks like all your kernel modules are loading
> >properly, the important ones being usbserial and visor.
> >
> >Have you checked to see if a "usb-serial" device "magically" appears in
> >/dev when you push the cradle button?  It will be something like
> >/dev/usb/tts/1 or /dev/usbts1.  This is what you tell your palm software
> >to use (perhaps through a /dev/pilot symlink).
> >
> >FWIW:  I had a 2.4 kernel where my Handspring would randomly sync only
> >50% of time, and I could never figure out why.  All my kernal modules
> >loaded, the usbserial device appeared, I had OK log messages, but no
> >sync.  Since I've compiled a 2.6 kernel, it syncs everytime!

I used to have issues with my Handspring, but my Palm has always worked
flawlessly. I thought the /dev/usb/tts/1 was only for devfs, which I am
not using. I've always used /dev/ttyUSB0, which always exists. Will /dev
entries automatically appear if I am not using devfs?