[vox-tech] help

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:27:18 -0800

Quoting Mark K. Kim (markslist@cbreak.org):

> PINE probably wasn't installed at the IF because the Washington State
> University license doesn't allow binary distribution of PINE.  If someone
> brings the sources or an RPM we can install it at the next IF.

Pine was indeed dropped from Red Hat as of Fedora Core 1.

> I'm not even gonna touch on the modem issue.  If Jungmee wants a good
> Linux modem support, I suggest getting a PCMCIA modem.  I got one with my
> laptop that works excellently, and I hope they still sell some solid ones
> in the market.

Jungmee hasn't actually clarified yet whether it's a modem issue or an
ethernet one, nor the nature of the problem beyond "can't access the
Internet".

But yes:  Every time I need reliable connectivity from a laptop, I just
get a surplus PCMCIA modem or network card (or combo).  Any old 3Com is
perfect.

> Seth - What's up with the mouse?  Seems like a simple enough problem to
> fix, but you could probably tackle this faster since you were at the IF.

In case it helps, touchpads are almost always straight, two-button PS/2
devices, in my experience (as to both interface and protocol).  Again,
Jungmee wasn't really a pargon of clarity about the symptom details
("touchpad doesn't work under Linux").

rick@linuxmafia.com