[vox-tech] FSTAB Questions

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:28:50 -0800

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

P=E5 tisdag, 17 februari 2004, skrev Peter Jay Salzman:
[...]
> > 1)  Does this order look okay?  Is /dev/hda1 in the right place?
>=20
> it depends.  did you plug the new hard drive in IDE 4 slot A or slot B?
> if you put it in slot B, the drive spins at a faster rate and can
> prematurely burn out the motor.  a lot of people who complained about
> IBM deskstars crapping out early were guilty of using slot B.  since
> then, IBM has placed slot AB converters, so for modern deskstars, it
> doesn't matter.  if you own one of these things and it says "CHS"
> somewhere on the drive itself, you have an older model.

???

What do you mean by "slot A/B"? Is this different from master and slave?

> > Man fstab=20
> > says that order is important.

It is important to the extent that you must mount nested filesystems in a
sensible order. E.g., mount / before /usr and that before /usr/local.

> in the case of iocharset, it appears that iocharset is used to convert
> between 8 bit  uhhh.... "ascii" (with all due respect to the fact that
> ascii is 7 bit) and unicode.
>=20
> you should be OK you're only reading / writing in english.  note that
> micah, mark and henry know this kind of thing WAY more than i do.

I know very little about character sets on non-Unix operating systems, but
it is unlikely that Bob is using non-ASCII characters.

In all likelyhood you are only using ASCII on both windows and Linux (i.e.,
the 7-bit subset of the eight bits of 8-bit text). If this is true, do not
worry about it at all.

If your LANG environment variable is unset or is "C", you are not using 8-b=
it
chars.

[...]

--=20
Henry House
The unintelligible text that may follow is a digital signature.=20
See <http://hajhouse.org/pgp> for information.  My OpenPGP key:
<http://hajhouse.org/hajhouse.asc>.

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+--