[vox-tech] core files

Matt Roper vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:08:09 -0800

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 05:38:47PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> I've noticed some core files have a number appended to them, like:
>
>    core.2342
>
> The number is most likely a pid, but I'm curious how the core file got
> named this way.  Is there a libc function that sets the name of a
> possible future core file?
>
> Do core files automatically get a pid appended to their name when a
> program forks?

On 2.6 kernels, check out /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern and
/proc/sys/kernel/core_uses_pid .  You can set a naming pattern for core
dumps and control whether the PID gets appended to the end of core file
names or not.  I believe these features were added sometime during the
2.5 development so I'm not sure if/when they were backported to 2.4.
There's documentation about them in Documentation/sysctl/kernel.txt
under your kernel source tree.  I also seem to recall reading somewhere
that the PID gets appended automatically for multi-threaded
applications.

Matt