[vox-tech] web access of openoffice documents

David Hummel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:22:11 -0800

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:58:38PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> i'm teaching a few classes and keep my scores/averages in gnumeric
> spreadsheet (which i can convert to openoffice of course).  i want to
> have some kind of site where my students can log in using their SSN
> and perhaps a password and be able to look at how they're doing.

Gnumeric files are gzipped XML documents (and Calc files are zipped ones
I believe).  You could have a Perl CGI that decompresses the file,
parses it with XML::Parser, locates the student-specific data, and
presents it on the web page.

-David