[vox-tech] Virtual Consoles

Ken Herron vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:38:03 -0800

--On Tuesday, February 10, 2004 08:41:37 -0800 Ken Bloom
<kabloom@ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> Syslog says:
> Feb 10 08:26:00 kabloom getty[2535]: /dev/tty2: already in use
> Feb 10 08:26:10 kabloom getty[2536]: /dev/tty2: already in use

The first thing that comes to mind is that you started some program in
the background during your previous session on this tty, and it's still
running. When this happens, try logging in on a different tty (ie a
different virtual console), running "ps -e", and looking for any
processes with this tty listed in the TTY column.

--
"Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared
the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons

Kenneth Herron        Kherron@newsguy.com       916-366-7338