[vox-tech] accessing an exchange server using OSS

Rob Rogers vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 23:58:41 +0000

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 14:59:50PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> at work, i use windows.  at home, i use linux.  i know there's a lot of
> people in the same position.
>
> i'd like to find a way of checking work mail from home.  people talk
> about something called an "exchange server" as if it were a mail spool.
> perhaps an MTA.  it sounds like it does different things.
>
> can someone tell me what an "exchange server" is?

I can give you the basics... It's been 4+ years since I had to work with
it. First, it does work like an MTA. It also works as a calendar server.
It also does task lists, server side address book...pretty much
everything you can do in MS Outlook can be stored on the exchange
server.

> and can i access one using open source tools (preferably mutt)?

One of the big things is by default, it uses it's own protocols. In
other words, no SMTP, POP3, IMAP, etc. If you can get those turned on,
(or in Exchange speak, install the connector) then you can use the
standard OSS tools to connect. That only gets you mail though, not
calendar or other features.

Ximian does have a "Connector for Microsoft Exchange" for Evolution that
lets you connect to an Exchange 2000 or 2003 server. It is a proprietary
product (individual licenses are $69/seat), and does have the
requirement of "OWA (Outlook Web Access) active on that Exchange
Server." So, I think they've got the mail protocol reverse engineered,
but not the (non-web access) calendar protocol.

You may also find some more info at:
http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/VALinux-kb/ms-exchange-replacements.html
http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/groupware.html

Not sure how up to date those are. I don't think you choices have
changed all that much in the last few years though.

HTH,
Rob