[vox-tech] motherboard of my dreams and hardware price hunting

Bill Broadley vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:41:49 -0800

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 10:32:52PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Thu 05 Feb 04, 10:17 PM, Bill Broadley <bill@math.ucdavis.edu> said:
> > > one problem: it's pricey.  pricewatch has the cheapest board at $436 in
> > > CA (the first perk of living in NJ) with free fedex.  at that price,
> > > i'll be running a pair of opteron 140's with 32MB on each CPU.  :)
> >
> > Er, 140's are for uni-processors.
>
> yeah.  that was supposed to have been a joke.  the 32 MB was also
> supposed to be a joke.
>
> i wouldn't run the opterons with anything less than 64MB each.
>
> ;)

Heh, well, this is one of those times, how often are you really
going to run 2 cpu intensive processes at once?  Keep in mind you
could get a killer single:
2.0 GHz Athlon 64 $220
Random athlon 64  $220
2.0 GB ram PC3200 $250
dual 160 GB sata  $200
nice quiet antec  $80  (with 4 shock mounted bays, and temp adaptive fans)

If you have to much money left over get a $750 dell 20" LCD.

BTW while the athlon 64 has 1/2 the memory bandwidth, PC3200 is faster
then PC2700, and the athlon 64 memory bus is lower latency.  Check
the benchmark sites for a direct comparison.

--
Bill Broadley
Information Architect