[vox-tech] latex: flowing around text

Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:08:05 -0800

ack!  correction:

> >1. the topic is not mentioned in the lamport book.
> >
> >2. the topic is covered in the companion book, but the information is so
> >   old that it's wrong.  for example, my hat is off to anybody who
> >   actually gets parpic to work well...
                    ^^^^^^
i meant picinpar.  :)   my hat is off to anyone who DOESN'T get parpic
to work.

the reason why parpic is so great is that it's extremely robust.  it
handles everything i've ever thrown at it.  lists, displayed eqns,
inline eqns, floats, tables, everything.

in contrast, picinpar is whiny, dumb and requires a lot more work.

i often still have to use visual markup with parpic, but with:

   1. a Makefile
   2. the vim mapping   <F1> :make<CR><CR><CR>
   3. setting gv up so that it redisplays automagically when the
      postscript file changes (feature is called "watch", i think)

visual markup ain't too bad...

pete