[vox-tech] postscript printer: light goes on, nobody home.

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:41:12 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

[...]

> * rhonda reminded me of a very interesting fact.
>
>   she was trying to print a normal text file, and the same thing was
>   happening.  she couldn't print the text file.
>
>   i fiddled and fiddled and fiddled.  spent the entire afternoon at it,
>   and was able to determine that the problem was a percent sign before
>   a number at the left column of the file.  without that percent sign
>   in the text document, the file printed fine.
>
>   my belief is that the percent sign was tricking the printer's
>   PCL interpreter into thinking the document was postscript, which
>   of course it wasn't.  not even close.  not hard to imagine why
>   the printer would give up.

The text file problem is easy: append a FF (0xc) to the text file.  I
would not expect this problem to affect postscript, though, because pages
are ejected as a result of postscript commands, not control characters.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing