[vox-tech] Getting new Linux box to boot

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Fri Dec 31 11:00:39 PST 2004

På fredag, 31 december 2004, skrev Richard Crawford:
> >I have not closely followed this thread, but I have a suggestion: have you
> >tried starting a shell having the newly installed LuMiX partition as its
> >root filesystem, then running grub from there? (Use chroot(8) to do this.)
>
> I didn't even know that could be done.

It is extremely useful when installing Linux from another running Linux
(which could be tomsrtbt, Knoppix, etc.) Just run it like this:

	chroot /mnt/newroot /bin/sh
	cd /

substituting the correct mount point containing the new Linux installation
for /mnt/newroot. The shell, /bin/sh above, must exist in the new root
directory. The chroot does not take effect immediately if you are in some
other directory; the 'cd' insures that your shell is in the new root.

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13