[vox-tech] Getting new Linux box to boot

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Fri Dec 31 10:51:38 PST 2004

På fredag, 31 december 2004, skrev Richard Crawford:
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >On Fri 31 Dec 04, 10:05 AM, Richard Crawford <rscrawford at mossroot.com>
> >said:
> >
> >>I'm still working on this LuMiX box (thanks to Pete for helping me with
> >>the cdrom problem).  I've done the following:
> >>
> >>Used Tom's Root Boot on a floppy to fdisk the hard drive into three
> >>partitions (for the sake of simplicity and ease): /dev/hda1 (bootable),
> >

> >BTW, as I understand it, Linux doesn't doesn't care about the "bootable"
> >flag.  Every partition on a Linux system is bootable.  That flag is used
> >solely for the MS Windows bootloader.
>
> That makes sense.  The authors probably included this note in the
> instructions on the assumption that this would be a dual-boot system.
> Every single page of instructions I've found EVERYWHERE on how to set up
> a boot loader assumes a dual-boot system.  Kind of frustrating in a way,
> since this computer has no Windows on it at all.

You can also get a replacement MBR program that honors the boot flag of the
partition, allowing you to install lilo or grub on the partition (e.g.,
hda1) rather than on the MBR. Debian does this by default. Here is Debian's
replacement MBR program:

http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/mbr

I don't think there are any big advantages to this over installing grub in
the MBR for a non-dual-boot system, though.

I have not closely followed this thread, but I have a suggestion: have you
tried starting a shell having the newly installed LuMiX partition as its
root filesystem, then running grub from there? (Use chroot(8) to do this.)

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13