[vox-tech] Installing Java

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Thu Dec 30 14:50:46 PST 2004

On Thu 30 Dec 04,  2:35 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> said:
> Quoting Nick Schmalenberger (nschmalenberger at fastmail.fm):
>
> > Huh. Thanks, I didn't know that. Previously I had the impression that
> > Blackdown was a totally Sun-independent implementation of Java, which
> > was why it was behind in Java compatibility, but had a more free
> > license. So then is more Linux compatibility at the cost of less Java
> > compatibility all there is to Blackdown?
>
> I defer to Pete's scholarly answer on the point -- except to add (and
> please pardon the slight repetition) that Blackdown seems to do a much
> better job of fully porting and packaging the software properly for Linux
> distros.

Heh.  Don't look at me!  I'm *completely* on your side:

   * I bypass package management only as a *very* last resort (like when
      the Debian Yadex package was a _full two years_ out of date.  Even
      then, time permitting, I'll create my own personal Debian package
      and install the software that way (especially if the tarball in
      question uses autoconf).

   * Couldn't care less about Java.  I think "slow" must have been one of
      the Java design principles...   ;)

Pete (who got suckered to purchase IBM's Via Voice, oh so long ago)