[vox-tech] Running Multiple Distros

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 30 11:55:43 PST 2004

Quoting Rod Roark (rod at sunsetsystems.com):

> In theory each application should have its own unique dot-
> file, and be able to deal with compatibility issues across
> versions.  In practice some apps might not handle version
> differences gracefully; for example I've had to blow away
> ~/.kde a couple of times in the past after upgrading KDE.

It should be added that, even when newer versions of the software can
deal gracefully with older versions' dotfiles, the reverse is very often
_not_ the case -- because the developers anticipated people upgrading,
but _not_ their going backwards.  Therefore, with two distros sharing
(e.g.) ~/.kde directories and having different k-app versions, the
distro with older k-apps might get severe indigestion from your shared
~/.kde trees, even if the other doesn't.