[vox-tech] Accessing cdrom from Tom's Root Boot

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Thu Dec 30 10:58:02 PST 2004

I'm trying to build a LuMiX box; the distribution comes as a big tar file on a
CD.  I've got Tom's Root Boot on a floppy, and I've used it to hose the NT
partition that was already on the HD, and I've already created my Linux
partitions and my swap partition.  I now want to copy the tar file from the
cdrom to /dev/hda1.

Unfortunately I can't seem to figure out how to get to the cdrom drive.  I
imagine that when I booted the computer, it detected the cdrom drive somehow,
but dmesg reveals nothing about it.  I've tried to mount /dev/hdc
through /dev/hde to /cdrom, but I've had no luck.  The message I receive is:

# mount -a
mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device (maybe 'insmod
driver'?)

The relevant entry in /etc/fstab looks like this:

/dev/hdc /cdrom iso9660 1 1

What am I missing?  I've never done an installation like this; these
newfangled distributions like FC3 and even Debian make everything too easy.

--
Richard S. Crawford (mailto: rscrawford at mossroot.com)
AIM: Buffalo2K / http://www.mossroot.com